Chapter 6. Norms
Why is binge drinking so common among university students? In this meeting, we will study binge drinking as a cultural phenomenon, as something that is driven by norms. The main aim of the meeting is to introduce you to key concepts, theories and findings on norms.
|Ch. 6 Overview||Norms|
|Ch. 6.6||Why do norms emerge?|
|Ch. 6.7||Cultural maladaptation and norm change|
|Ch. 6 (Appendix)||What is game theory?|
|Ch. 6 (Appendix)||The Prisoner’s Dilemma|
Power Point slides
- Chapter 6 lecture slides
- Chapter 6 definitions of key concepts
Test your knowledge
Additional chapter resources
- What are Social norms? Watch this video from Prof. Thomas Grund (and try not to laugh!).
- Why do Norms emerge? Watch these instructive videos on the Prisoner’s Dilemma (here and here), and on the Tragedy of the Commons (here and here).
- Cultural maladaptation and norm change: watch these videos on: when Sweden switched to driving on the right (here), the bystander effect (here).
- On Dynamics of group distinction: watch these videos on Elias and the Civilizing Process (here), and on Bourdieu and distinction (here).